Monday, July 03, 2006

 
Slate has an interesting essay about novelizations of movies, a very curious genre of literature--and I use that term in the broadest sense of the word. In fairness, I must say that I've only ever read one novelization--"Damien: The Omen II" which I read when I was a kid, and I didn't realize when I purchased it that it was a novelization. (I also read the book version of "The Omen" which I supposed was technically a novelization as well. According to Wikipedia, it came out two weeks before the film--the 1976 version--as a marketing gimmick.)

I did buy the novelization to "The Return of the Jedi." I skimmed through parts, because "Star Wars" novelizations did have some interesting backstory.

Comments:
Not sure I understand Slate's difference between a tie-in and a novelization. More than just a one off? Of a TV series instead of a movie?

What about comic-ization? I got a comic version of "The Empire Strikes Back", a week or two before the movie was released. Yup, early May, 1980, the first thing I said to anyone I knew was "Darth Vader is Luke's father". There are people that probably still hate me for that 25 years later. Ha!

Of course, this begs the whole making movies out of comics.
 
For young kids, there were also "Star Wars" story books, which were heavy on stills from the movie, along with a summary of the major scenes. I had all three. I wonder if they made them for the prequels.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?